Monday, September 22, 2008

Two Against One

Bro Patrick and I heading out for a fun ride in chino hills Saturday morning. We were going to ride a fun single track that sweeps down a few of the hills. It was a nice morning, cool out and plenty of other bikers, runners and hikers out on the trail. At the end of the single track I saw a tarantula on the ground. I told Patrick and he went back to play with it using two long sticks. He was very intrighed by the size of this spider, a house pest on steroids. I cautioned him not to let it jump on his face and bite him. I watched from about 10 feet away (a real animal lover am I )

After Patrick was done, we headed down telegraph trail, a dirt road that runs down the valley, really nice out with trees etc. As the road curved back and forth you could only see 20 feet in front due to the road, I noticed a tail just around the bend. I told Patrick, I think there is a dog or wolf or something in front of us. We speed up a little and there was a small-ish coyote on the road walking in front of us along the left side of the road. I told Patrick, lets speed up a little and scare it away. I did not like riding 20 feet behind a coyote so I figure we should get ride of it. As we speed up and started to get loud, the coyote stopped and turned to face us, standing in the middle of the road.

I think we both stopped on a dime and immediattly took a few steps backward while trying to straddle our bikes. The Coyote turn back around after seeing what we were made of and continued down the trail.

It was still a nice ride, it just a reminder that Wild Animals and ME, we don't mix.

2 comments:

Kacia said...

Hooray that the coyote didn't eat you daddy. Or the tarantula.

Cat said...

That'd be cool to see a coyote! I'd rather see a fox though, those are cute