Thursday, April 15, 2010

Cooking - Inspired

Earlier this week, my girls finally got me to sit down and try watching the newly released DVD: Julie & Julia. I wasn't sure how interested I would be, despite my girls insisting I would love it. It only took me about 15 minutes to be totally involved in this movie. I loved it. I never really knew who Julia Child was, but by the time we finished watching the movie, I wanted that cookbook! Don't get me wrong. I am not on a quest to create every recipe in her book within one year, but I thought it might do me some good to hear from a "new" (old) source, the way Jamie Oliver inspired me after I had my darling little Levi. (By the way, if you don't know the story, after I had Levi, and got back on my feet, toward the kitchen, I felt completely incapacitated. That is, until I saw Jamie Oliver on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno".) Then, Ray let me get one of his cookbooks, and I felt invigorated, and inspired to tend to my herb garden, and get back into the kitchen with the simplicity of using fresh ingredients, and basic concepts, to make lovely food for my family! I still remember that as such a wonderful turning point for me. I began feeling much more free to just experiment with what I knew, while venturing, a bit at a time, into what I didn't know. Cooking became fun again.
So, here I am again. Not feeling incapacitated. I still totally enjoy cooking, and creating, in my kitchen. But I'm ready to be inspired. I'm ready to experiment with a whole new way of approaching food. Ray let me order "Mastering the Art of French Cooking (Volume 1), by Julia Child..." It is due to arrive here, on my door step, some time today - tax day to most people! Even though I'm Mexican, I think my cooking style is mostly Italian. It will be so interesting to see how this French influence affects my whole food preparation lifestyle!

Monday, it was tacos (ground beef/black bean; chicken; and potato/green chile with large corn and flour tortillas), beans (with many herbs and no hot, spiciness - because my family is full of gringo mexicans!) and all the fixin's - including black olives.
Tuesday, it was bbq'd split-breasts of chicken, marinated in olive oil, fresh chives, thyme, and seasonings, along with marinated & grilled onion, zucchini, red & green bell peppers & mushrooms.
Wednesday was garlic-thyme grilled London broil, golden brown red potatoes with olive oil and herbs, and zucchini/tomato casserole with feta cheese.
Thursday, I'm planning cioppino, grilled pork loin skewers over spinach fettucini with a homemade ragu sauce, and salad.
I'm not sure what all I might learn from the late Julia Child, but I am looking forward to making her famous "beef borginion" (or, however you spell it!!) sometime, very soon.

Oh, and by the way, "Bon Appetit!"

3 comments:

Snooch said...

Aaron rented that movie for a date night once, and we both absolutely loved it! I still can't believe he actually wanted to watch it.

I think it's fantastic how it's inspired you to be creative in the kitchen.

Please share your wonderful creations and let me know how you like the cookbook... I've considered getting it myself. :) I can't wait to see what you create!

Kacia said...

Man, we eat good here. I'm so thankful for that. :)

Cat said...

I hope her recipes are good for you guys ^^