Well, after being up on the frig for 3 months, this list is sure showing signs of wear and tear. For several years, our family has had a "Summer Goals" family meeting. We sit at the kitchen table, and I write down each person's 3 top goals for the summer. They can be personal goals, or things we'd like to do as a family. As we go through the summer, the goals are lined out with great enthusiasm. This year, someone's wet hand caused the ink to run down the page, but the list remained in a prominent position on the freezer door. Later in the summer, someone went over the ink with pen or pencil, so the words were legible again.
As you can see, Lukas is the only one with no lines through his goals. He did get a few miscellaneous jobs throughout the summer (thankfully), but he was really talking about a permanent, full or part time job. He is actually going on his first assignment with Apple One Employment Agency, tonight! It is only for one night, but he is excited at the prospect of getting his first experience out in the work force.
I was able to record 3, out of 30+ original songs, so I guess I could put a partial line through that one! It has been a great learning experience, and I'm looking forward to accomplishing that goal, little by little, as time goes by. It is probably a multiple year goal, since I only do recording sessions about once a week.
On the last weekend of the summer, I made it to the top of the mountain with Ray!! That was a huge (to me) goal, that we were able to mark off of both of our lists!
Ray took the kids to see the movie on Kayley's list, but it was technically not summer for us, since school started 2 weeks ago. They just went on Sunday afternoon, to give me some recording time. Ray took them to the 4:30 showing at the bargain theatre, and only spent $15 for 4 people! They enjoyed their "Night at the Museum"!
There was mention of Oregon and Idaho on the lists. Though we didn't get to go to either location for the summer (first time in several years!), we are planning a trip to BOTH places this fall! Hopefully, we can work in a couple of days near the Grand Canyon with Uncle Paul & Aunt Teri, since that has been one of Ray's trip goals for several years.
Even though Kacia was laid off from her position at the YMCA, they kept her on as a substitute. She had a nice little 2 week break, but, other than that, they kept her busy all through the summer! That was really neat for her. She got to work at a couple of different locations, with several different age groups of kids. It has been a really neat job for her to get experience working with kids - since she's going to school to become a teacher. She also got to do some fun things with her buddy, Megan!
Levi, unconsciously, made sure his "camping" goal was fulfilled. Every few weeks, he would ask us, "When are we going camping again? I want to go camping!" at just about the time Ray was getting the bug to go. We went on a few spur of the moment overnighters for that very reason, and we got to have a camping weekend with Ray's whole family! Everyone had a great time!
Kara was so thrilled to get more babysitting experience over the summer! She made some pretty good money - I think that was her favorite part! Also, at her suggestion, Daddy's goal of spending time with Kara, was accomplished by them making an art easel together! She was so excited to woodwork with Dad, and just as excited with the result!
Overall, we had a really good summer. We went to the beach in the RV, almost once a week, to spend the afternoon, make dinner, and then spend the evening, either hanging out, or going down to Main Street. Lukas actually made a little bit of money, playing his guitar over there! We did lots of other fun things that weren't on the list, and got to go swimming at our dear Sis Sharon's house, almost every week!
Report Card for the summer of 2009? I'd have to give it an E, for Excellent!
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Summer Report Card
Posted by SevenSalgados at 11:15 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I totally stopped reading at the whole "visit Idaho this fall" part. WHAT??!! I heard just yesterday that you were going to Oregon for Thanksgiving and I assumed any chance of an Idaho visit just got thrown right out the window. This Fall? YOU are coming HERE??!! I'm so excited! Do tell.
p.s. my plan must have worked. I told Levi to ask his dad EVERY day if he would take him to see Dawson....since he always wants to come over. Hee hee
Good job guys! :) You all deserve excellent grades!
Kacia- were glad you got to hang out with Megan more!
Lukas- Keep trying.. Hopefully after tonight you can check off one off your list!
Ray & Rechelle- Good job on getting to the top of the mountain!
Kayley- Were happy you got to go to the beach alot!
Levi- Thats awesome you got a fancy slip n slide!
Kara- We hope you can get a disneyland pass because we have one too and we can go with you guys! :)
I would totally not check off anything off my list if I had one XD
Except I did buy a cd I wanted (doesn't really count haha)
Good job on fulfilling some stuff, sounds like a lot of fun ;)
It's so cool you guys are coming to Oregon for Thanksgiving :D
I think this was one of my favorite posts! I enjoyed seeing each persons goals and how the fulfillment of them worked out (or not!).
It's a great idea, and even more wonderful be able to read about all the adventures each person partook in.
Life... it really is an adventure isn't it?!
Post a Comment