Kayley- Tarantula Hawk Wasp or Pepis- bug with 2nd most painful sting... in our backyard.
Today, Kara, Levi and I were playing in our backyard when Kara saw the strangest, big bug! She examined it for a little while and then asked me if I thought she should catch and kill it for Chase's bug collection (Grasshopper, bee, butterfly, etc.). I noticed it was a little strange and I had never seen a bug like it before- all black, large, and flying low to the grass. The strangest thing about it, though, was it's redish-orange wings! I said I thought it would be ok, so she got a cup and caught the bug that was flying low to the grass.
Kara started becoming worried as she observed that it was rather large, mad... and just might have a stinger. She looked it up online and found out it's this little (big) booger-
It can grow up to inches (50 mm) long, and delivers a sting which is rated among the most painful in the insect world. (2nd to the bullet ant). Below is a picture of the typical dinner of the Tarantula Hawk Wasp:As for the stinger, it is 1/3 inch, and being stung is described as "blinding, fierce [and] shockingly electric" and "…immediate, excruciating pain that simply shuts down one's ability to do anything, except, perhaps, scream. Mental discipline simply does not work in these situations."
Thankfully, our little friend is now shriveling in a jam jar with some sorta alcohol that will kill him as his friend. (sorry for the blurriness, I couldn't get anything better :(At least one person in our family enjoyed him...
(PS Be sure to check out mom's helpful post she did earlier today- you might not see it cuz of this post)
Thursday, September 3, 2009
Tarantula Hawk Wasp
Posted by SevenSalgados at 5:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Thank you for adding to our bug collection. We are soooo excited!! That was so cool that you thought of us. You are great friends. It's a good thing you did not get stung.....or else we would probably hear you screaming all the way at our house.
Love, Chase and Madison
We're excited, too! We just hope it won't be shriveled up by the time you get it :)
I've seen that before, like once. They're weird looking. Good thing you guys didn't get stung.
I laughed at Chase and Madison's comment, that was funny :D
That is a very creepy bug... creepier after I saw it's regular meal. Ick!
It's great that you were able to capture it for Chase though! How fun for him... just keep it away from me... :-(
Post a Comment