Thursday, April 9, 2009

Old San Juan trail

Well Bro Craig is ready to get in Shape ! He called and said he was ready to try Old San Juan Trail. I think this is the funest trail I've ridden and while not easy it's all single track out in the mountains. Some parts are very technical with rocks to navigate and often the trail is narrow on a ledge with a drop if you fall the wrong way. Yes, we had a few "Rescues" of riders who went over the side. We arrived early and unloaded in the tree covered parking lot. It was cold, but a sunny day was instore.

Kyle on some of the single track, the climb had switch backs and many obstacles.

Kyle and Lukas riding more of the same single track trails.

Kyle rides by on a single track, we have climbed up and enjoy the view.


Kyle's back tire blew out and we had to do another road side repair.

Lukas crashed and went over the side with his bike. Bro Craig does the rescue.
Lukas body armor saved his arms and Legs, but he did poked with a stick in the ribs on the way out.

Pulling Lukas up, Craig saves the Bike.
When we got to the Top, Cocktail Rock, Which is the half way point of the whole ride, we stopped and had lunch. Kyle had also gone over the side and needed resucue on the way up.
While at the lunch spot, Kyle noticed his cell phone was Gone, not sure where he dropped it on the trail, maybe one of the falls ? We had to try and find it on the way down.
Bro Craig, called the cell phone where Kyle had gone over the edge and heard the phone down in the brush. Craig went over and found it. Everyone was happy.

The downhill ride was fun and fast, we tried to keep it safe, Kyle fell and did a superman on the sandy hard soil. Thanfully he just missed the big rock to his right. He was right behind me and I almost lost it here just seconds before him. His knee and upper leg got scraped, ouch.

Lukas and Kyle, note the focus and concentration.

Lukas and Craig zoom down a single track as we head for home.

Kyle coming down the final trail, back to the parking Lot.
It was a good ride, although we rode for 2:10 minutes but were on the trail for about 5:18 minutes. We had several falls, tire repair, lots of rests and Lunch, but it was a nice day out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you guys had fun. That's good boy time where your not sitting on the couch watching football. It's more healthy and keeps you fit! That was funny in the pic. where Lukas watched bro. Craig and Kyle save his bike. lol! Sorry 'bout the fall Kyle. OUCH!

-Kara

Kacia said...

That rail sounds adventurous. I think it makes it more exciting that you had to do things like rescue the bike. Of course, I wasn't the one climbing down a mountainside, trying to get it.

Cat said...

That's cool you guy's got to go on the bike ride. I'm not good with bikes, I fall off of them all the time. I got a hole in my same knee twice from falling off a bike. My knee looked like Kyle's but worse. I also got one of my nails torn off by jabbing my finger into the bike handle while going downhill. I'm kinda clumsy on those things lol. So a bike ride like that wouldn't be good for me. I prefer playing tennis.

Glad you guy's had a fun time =D