Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Conquer or be Conquered

So My dear wife's dream came true last april when she got her new Mountain Bike for our 21st wedding anniversary. So romantic and totally not a guy gift.

Well, to make things even better Dad's summer goal was to help Mom get to the top of the Mountain. (These are the mountains behind our home in corona, 5 miles to the top and 1450 feet of Climbing).

When we started, she rode from our house to the gate, where the trail 'starts', and was ready to turn around and come home. Boy it was going to be a long, slow summer.

But she took courage and persisted to ride. I encouraged her to keep her own pace and as long as she was working, her body would get stronger.

Well, last Saturday we set out for a Ride. We had made it about just over half way up before, so I figured we would do good to get a little further this time. We started around 4pm and it was very windy. Our neighbor Neil and his son Caden went along as well as Kara and Levi (on his tag-a-long bike).

As we neared the half way point, Rechelle said she still felt good, but Kara was concerned the strong winds might blow her off the mountain. We were glad for the cooling of the wind.

We pressed on, then Caden (2 yrs old and in the trailer) wanted out for a break, and Neil said he needed to take Caden down as he was tired of sitting. Kara was to follow him down (too windy).

From this point we could see the top, but we had to climb a good section of mountain still. As we looked up to the point beyond, the carcase of an old car that went over the side of the road lie several hundred feet below the road above.

Rechelle, now so close to the top pressed on as we climbed the final miles.

At last, Rechelle conquered the Mountain !


Levi and Mom resting and enjoying the view.




Me and my dear wife.

Neil & Kara decided to keep heading up the mountain, since Caden was content to run along side of them, as they rode to the top.

Kara our little trooper, before being blown over the side of the mountain.
(oh, it never happened, she's all better now thanks)

6 comments:

SevenSalgados said...

someday when you ask me on a not-smokin'-hot day, I'll be excited to go and make it all the way up as well!

SevenSalgados said...

-kacia

Cat said...

Way to go Sis. Rechelle for conquering the mountain!

I'm glad the wind didn't blow Kara over, that'd be kinda sad.

Keifersgirl said...

I'm so proud of you Rechelle! I'm sure that was tough on yer old body. I'd probably turn around before I even got to the BOTTOM of the mountain. Hee hee

Bak 2 Bak Twins said...

Wow! Good job Rechelle! That must have been tough! When we ride up Acacia hill we walked our bikes after the first street! So congrats! :)

Anonymous said...

Great job, Rechelle! It feels good to accomplish a goal we set for ourselves. I'm sure Ray is so proud of you. He's been a diligent trainer.
Mendi