OK, so, I've been thinking, I don't blog much, check out other's blogs much (leave comments), or do much in the way of emailing, etc. Maybe there are a few, or one, or two, of you, wondering what's up with Rechelle? Well, besides keeping up on laundry, scolding, I mean, helping a kid or two, or five; planning and preparing meals for our family, I've been very busy working on music. I have a picture of my workstation - though, it's one of two, because once the music is put into the sheet music software, I migrate to the study to do editing and printing.
This might seem like a subject change, but it really isn't. One year, many moons ago, I decided to learn how to quilt. Most people start hand quilting on a place mat, or something relatively small. I decided to learn how to quilt, on a twin-sized comforter, for my kid's room! I worked many hours, perfecting my stitches; through 2 or 3 pregnancies, I believe. Many things of life came and went during the time I spent, stitch by stitch, trying to finish the project I started, because I always felt it was something like living the faith. I could see my stitches getting smaller, more skillful, and more evenly spaced, as I plodded along. Sometimes it was discouraging, because I could see how far I'd come, compared to how far I had to go, and the task was very daunting. But, the thought was always there. In fact, it was my Grandma's voice, "Oh, Honey, You need to finish what you've started!" She never applied it to that quilt, but I did! I think she was talking about her own "projects" when she would say it. It was the principle - the spirit of the matter - that she was always speaking on.
So, in case you're wondering, Yes, I was able to finish that quilt. It's a testimony to me, now, because I can look at it, and see the growth - from the middle of the quilt, where I started, to the edges. It is very obvious to me, because of the memories I have of striving for perfect, even stitches! It is a precious example of perseverance - not because someone else was telling me to do it, but because of what I felt in my heart. It took seven years, from start to finish, but now, I've actually had it longer than the time it took to work on it!
Anyway, long story long, (as usual!) I've been working on a project that reminds me of that quilt. It certainly shouldn't take that long to finish, but there are days that it feels like I'm struggling to make progress. God has been very gracious to me, however, and given seasons where it seemed to be moving along rather well. Other times, I am praying for encouragement, because it seems to be so big in my mind!
As Sister Kathy often quotes, "This too, will pass", I know this is one of the many seasons of my life, for which I can be thankful, and learn from, as the days go by.
Love, Rechelle
Thursday, July 24, 2008
Update on Mom
Posted by SevenSalgados at 7:36 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Rechelle, I remember that quilt. I don't think I knew the whole story be hind it. I wish I had the patients you do to take the time to do other things while I'm working on a project. I have alot of things I like to do. Alot of projects I plan on doing. I seem to start one after another and never am satisfied until there done. Therefore I never win and I'm always completely crazy. Poor Richard. I love you and feel so blessed that you have been a friend to me. Can't wait to see some of your music projects in person.
Post a Comment